Thursday, January 18, 2018

Two morning skis: Sun Salutation and Mother-Son Ski

Twenty-Six degrees ABOVE zero today! I went for a ski to greet the sun, enjoying watching the light first touch the buildings and trees on the river bank, and then slowly light up the trees below. Skate conditions were fast. I could see that there had been a lot of skate traffic on the trail since yesterday morning--perhaps the Moorhead High School Ski Team was training yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed this solo ski today because it gave me time to think about my older son, Alessandro, returning to college today. I am really going to miss him!

When I got back, I made him a cup of chai tea and asked if he would like to ski before heading to the airport. He said yes! My heart swelled--one more mother-son ski before he heads back to Wesleyan.

When we headed out about 9:30, the sun was already high in the sky. We stopped a couple of times to take photos and talk. OK, I got a bit tearful, as the picture of a day out skiing with my dad popped into my mind's eye. I'm so glad that I have this same ski bond with Alex. He really enjoyed being out in the warm temperatures on the fast trail.
After our ski, we quickly showered, ate, and headed to the airport. Before he left, he said, "Maybe we can do a mother-son outing this summer too, like a hiking trip." He knows just what to say to make it easier for me to let go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment