Monday, January 15, 2018

MLK Day Ski

Since yesterday, the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. The sun, which has been staying up longer each day since winter solstice, seemed weaker today, barely penetrating the blowing snow in the atmosphere. It was a different kind of ski today. No throngs of skiers--just me and the wind.

The wind had scoured the trail, filling in the depressions where we skied yesterday and leaving bits of sticks and grass exposed. In addition to the filled-in tracks and debris, the snow was much colder today (air temperature was ten below), so the skis were not gliding like they did yesterday. Consequently, I got a very good workout, despite not moving very quickly. I also made sure to have a neck gaiter on, which I pulled up over my nose when the wind was coming at me head on, to prevent getting my nose frostbitten. I kept my head down and forged ahead.

This gave me some time to think about Dr. Reverend Martin Luther King, Junior and the history of slavery in our country. He was so dedicated to serving humanity, and when I visited the Civil Rights Museum in Atlanta for the first time last year, I was struck by how many people he has inspired and the larger human rights movement he was a part of. It's humbling to think about his greatness on a day when I feel very small (and cold).

While it still felt good to get some fresh air, it also felt good to get back inside and have a cup of hot tea when I was done skiing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment