Monday, January 8, 2018

Sunrise Skate Ski: 8 on the 8th.

The warm, windless weather continued today, so I watched carefully for the first sign of sunrise. When I saw the underbellies of the clouds starting to turn pink, I hurried out the door with my skate skis to catch the sunrise. It was about 7:45, so I had plenty of time to watch the pre-sunrise show along the Red River corridor, with its dark outlines of its stately trees providing a contrast to the delicate and changing light in the sky.
Okay, that was terribly out of focus, but I love the way the clouds look in this picture. Here is one that shows the trees better:

I had stopped at this point to take a photo of the sunrise reflected in the church windows because the reflection looked so beautiful from the ski trail--sunrise on my left, reflection on my right. My photo doesn't do it justice. 
I was enjoying the beautiful light so much that I skied up and down the skate trail twice this morning, getting in a good hour, plus of skiing. Although my hips and lats were a bit sore from my first skate ski yesterday, I felt pretty good! 

I saw a couple of people out walking, probably making good on their New Year's resolutions, as they walked at a good clip with a purposeful carriage. 

I heard a bird singing to the sunrise--two notes, first high, then low. I wish I knew my bird calls better. 
Here is the last photo I took as the sky changed from pink to orange. See the bird's nest in the tree?

Alessandro went out for a sunset skate ski. He, too, enjoyed the fast conditions. He saw 8 deer by the beaver lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment