Sunday, January 7, 2018

Second Skate Ski of Season Satisfies

I poked my head out this morning and saw a clear sky, which usually means cold, but the air felt warm. Then, I noticed something by its absence--the wind was not blowing! It looked like a great day to try skate skiing again after my disappointing first attempt. I had some yogurt and granola for breakfast, drank a cup of coffee, read a bit of the Sunday New York Times while breakfast settled, then I got into my light tights, thin long underwear top, and zipped up a fleece jacket. After our cold weather, this get-up felt almost like beach gear--and I didn't even feel the least bit cold when I went outside.

As soon as I got on the trail, I discovered that conditions were fast. Usually I struggle with skate skiing for the first several times, as I get into shape, but I felt terrific! Having a couple of days off due to volunteering for my son's swim meet probably helped too.

It was really a blast today--no one was out skiing, so I had the trail to myself. I took time to slow down when I saw twigs on the trail, to pick them up and toss them into the woods, so I didn't trip on them when I was tired. I hope other skate skiers appreciate my trail cleaning too.

I worked up a good sweat and got that great endorphin high from getting my heart rate up near its maximum--my good mood stayed around the rest of the day.

NDSU starts up again tomorrow, but I am glad to have had this very satisfying skate ski before getting back to the full-time grind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment