Sunday, December 31, 2017

Last Ski of 2017

It was twenty-four below when I woke up this morning, so I did some writing, beading, and reading until it warmed up a bit. I headed out on my classic skis at 1:15pm. With a clear sky, and the sun rising a bit higher, I could definitely feel some warmth from the sunlight. The air temperature was only nine below, and the ski trail felt faster today. I decided to go all the way to the I-94 bridge. As I was passing through the more thickly wooded part of Lindenwood Park, I saw some deer crossing the river from the Minnesota side. When I got close to them, I saw it was a mama deer with her two offspring. She stood guard, watching me attentively until I passed, while they hid in a hollow. She looked well nourished. I asked her if she was enjoying the warmer weather today.

When I got near the bridge, I saw why the deer like to come over here--I could see their tracks leading to two spots on the south-facing bank where they had scraped the snow away to reveal the still-green grass. That must be a delicious treat to nibble on in winter.

I didn't see anyone else out skiing today. I enjoyed the quiet and the sunshine, just letting my mind wander. When I got to the section between Lindenwood and the oxbow, I caught a movement up in the trees, a flash of red. When I got closer, I heard the sound of a woodpecker pecking on the tree, and after skiing closer yet, I saw a huge pileated woodpecker high in the tree. I wished I had a good camera with me--the bright red of his crest against the brilliant blue of the sky was a treat for the eyes. I stood there for awhile admiring him, until the gentle nudge of the cold reminded me to keep moving.

I slowed way down on the last section, finishing today's ski in an hour and twenty minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment