Saturday, December 30, 2017

Twenty Below Ski on December 30, 2017

Today was significantly colder than yesterday, with a bit of a wind. I skied for just over an hour and stayed fairly warm except for my feet. I paused on the bridge between Lindenwood and Gooseberry parks to just swing my legs twenty times each to get the blood going to my toes, and then I was fine. It was a slow ski because of the temperatures and also because the wind had nearly filled in the trail that Enrico and I made earlier. Here is what it looked like when I first got over to Gooseberry.

At times, I had to feel for the trail because it was hard to see it.

Because of the cold--about twenty below--I didn't expect to see anyone out today, and I didn't for awhile, but then I saw a lone fat tire cyclist in Lindenwood Park, a family of four skiing in Gooseberry Park, and a snowshoer by the river. I also saw a large gray bird that flew in front of me and then perched on a tree by the river. Could this be the owl I often hear there?

I kept thinking I heard another skier behind me, so I stopped several times to look around, but there was nobody there. I imagined it was my father's spirit, so I talked to him for awhile. I have been editing his poetry this month, so he has been on my mind.

I ended the ski a bit frostier than usual, and enjoyed a cup of Chaga tea (made from a fungus that grows on birch trees) as soon as I got back--thanks to my sister-in-law, Egle, finding some in Russia and sending it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment