Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sunday Ski Lessons

Today I went up to Edgewood golf course to help out with Sunday ski lessons. I love doing that. I got to work with the kids, and it is so neat to see how they improve so much, just in one session.

John Pfund and I took the kids to the field first, where several pairs of parallel classic tracks allowed us to keep and eye on the group while leading them to practice their kick and glide without poles, double-poling, and regular striding. A couple of girls were really gung-ho about going out on a loop. One said, looking off into the distance with a wistful eye, "I want to go ski on my very own trail." Hold onto that dream, my dear!

I led them off on the little loop, with the little girl in front. She was quite a dynamo! On the loop, I got the kids noticing the various tracks we saw and trying to identify them. "A bear, " "moose," "snake" were some of the answers. What fun!

After we completed our little loop, I led them up the hill and had them take turns going down the steep side to practice their downhill technique. They loved that.

Photo taken by Nick Carlson
After lessons, Jeff, Arnie, John, and I went for a classic ski around the outer loop. It was very pleasant skiing and socializing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment