Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Early morning polychromatic ambience ski

Alarm sounds, and I stumble downstairs to make some coffee. I let my younger son know it is time to get up for his weekly early chamber orchestra practice. He groans and doesn't move, so I make him breakfast, then try again. I go back down and start drinking coffee. Wait a minute... Enrico must have changed the time on the coffeemaker--it says 5:17. I look at the kitchen clock. Also 5:17. Um, ohhhhh. Right. Enrico must not have changed the alarm from the day before when we had to get up at 5 to take our older son to early morning swim practice.

Ugh. But it is too late to go back to bed. I tell my son he can sleep for another 45 minutes, then I drink my coffee and get ready for my day. After dropping my son off at school, I head out for a ski.

Although it is very early, I can see just fine, thanks to what we used to call "Fair-glow" in Fairbanks--the reflection of city lights off the clouds or ice fog. I guess in Fargo we can call it "Far-glow," right? The bright orange light makes it easy to find the skate trail.

It is warm today and the trail is firm and fast. Fun! I fall into a pleasing rhythm and begin cogitating on the English education program. Then I am in Lindenwood Park, and I don't remember getting there, that is how lost in thought I was.

Now I notice there has been a change in ambient light. The orange Farglow has been replaced by a deep blue. It feels like night. I drift off in thoughts again, but a fluttering of my heartbeats brings me back to the present. Now the sky is white, and soon it will be pink, for dawn is approaching. But I don't have time to witness that last color change--I stop after just one circuit so I have time to shower before heading to Davies High to observe my student teacher.

I feel refreshed, all my muscles are warm, my blood has circulated around and been freshened by breaths of morning air. I am ready for my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment