Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Monday afternoon skate ski with ski club members

Since I would be hosting the Prairie's Edge Nordic Ski Club board meeting at my house this evening, I invited club members to join me for a pre-meeting ski. The Haugens and Jeff arrived, and we walked to the end of 9th Avenue, climbed over the dike, and headed for the skate trail. With two days of warm temperature, the trail was unpredictable. Also, someone with an enormous dog had walked on it, so it was a bit pock-marked from their steps. It was cooling down this evening, cooler than yesterday, and parts of the trail that had been out of the sun for awhile were already icy. Other parts, like the bend near Gooseberry Park that gets a lot of sun and the turnaround that had not had as many passes by the groomer were mushy and our skate skis sunk in. However, it was just good to be outside and be with company. We stopped every so often to chat. This kind of social skiing is something I did a lot of in Alaska, and I miss it. I remember skiing with Sarah Swift Masterman in particular. We had a rhythm of skiing fairly hard, and then stopping to chat until our heart rates went down a bit and then starting up again, kind like doing natural intervals. Pleasant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment