Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Out skiing 'til the street lights came on

Got home around 4pm and scooted out the door with my skate skis because the temperature has been going up, up, up all day long, which means great gliding. It was 27 degrees above! Although I tried to take it slow to warm up, it just felt so great to be out that I soon found myself huffing and puffing so hard I had to stop and take a break. The first circuit (5.8K) of the skate trail was so fun, I decided to go for another. On my second circuit, I finally saw another skate skier, and another one and another and another and . . . then I realized this was the Moorhead High School Ski Team. I met them again on the way back and stopped to chat for a couple minutes with their coach, Dan Dooher, who will be teaching my Young Adult Literature class this spring, so I can devote more time to my grant-funded work on the College, Career, and Community Writers Program. We talked shop for a couple of minutes, then continued on. It got kind of dark near the end of my ski--the street lights were coming on, and I was reminded of my childhood and playing tag in the neighborhood until the street lights came on. Skate skiing makes me feel young again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment