Saturday, January 5, 2019

Introducing New Skier Madi Novacek

I received this facebook message on Wednesday from a former student: "Happy New Year. Will you be skiing at all this weekend? If you are, I'd love to join." I laughed. Of course, I will be skiing, and of course, I would be happy to have her join me. I know Madi is a runner, and I love converting runners to cross-country skiing. The weather cooperated with some warm temperatures on Saturday morning (+28F), so we headed out to the trails about 11am. First I introduced Madi to classic skiing, then we came back to my house, had a drink of water and changed to skate equipment. The trails were a bit icy in spots, which made learning skate skiing a bit more challenging, but with a little extra practice on the softer spots, she soon got the hang of it. Madi has experience with dance, including ballet, which helped her catch on to the rhythm and balance needed for skate skiing. She did a great job, and was still smiling at the end of our 2-hour outing! I predict she will go on to do the Birkebeiner one day, as I heard her chanting, "I am a Viking warrior" on the little uphill section in Lindenwood Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment