Sunday, February 25, 2018

New Navajo Nordic Skier in the Morning--Unexpected Ski Next to I-29 in Afternoon

We got MORE new snow last night, and this morning, Wahleah Watson came over to learn how to ski. It was a joy to introduce this strong Navajo woman to what I hope will become her new favorite sport (after Crossfit). She took to it immediately--executing step turns with grace and style and figuring out the weight shift right away. It was a perfect day--no wind, warm temperatures, soft new snow, and the clouds cleared and the sun came out while we were out on the trail.


After she left, I packed up the Subaru to head up to Belcourt to lead a workshop for juniors in writing on demand, and I had a full car of stuff to bring to Denise's cabin, since she is clearing out her house in Moorhead. I was zooming along on cruise control at 75 miles per hour about 35 miles north of town. I turned into the left lane to pass a car, but noticed that I wasn't passing, so I tried pushing down on the accelerator, and something weird happened.

It felt like the gas pedal was stuck in the "floor it" position, yet the car was losing speed. I took it out of cruise control, maneuvered back into the right lane, keeping an eye on another car coming up to pass. I continued to lose speed--something serious was wrong, so I pulled over onto the shoulder, and the car died. I smelled something burning, and I could see a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. I quickly turned off the car. Then I sat there for a moment, wondering if it just needed time to cool off.

The car shook back and forth as traffic rushed by. I was definitely beyond the rumble strips, but I wished I had pulled off further. It was unnerving to feel the car shaking with each passing vehicle. I tried starting the car to move it over more, but there was no response. I called AAA--was going to need a tow home. They said it would be about an hour. I was feeling anxious and I didn't want to be rocking back and forth, so I got out, put on my skis, and just skied up and down the side of the interstate until the tow truck arrived. Skiing is a great stress reliever, and I got a bit of a workout in while I was waiting.

My ski trail leads to the back bumper, which reads "I'd rather be cross-country skiing" 

My wax was perfect for conditions--extra blue--and the sun shone brightly. There was a bit of a breeze, as you can see in my selfie below, but I stayed toasty warm until the tow truck arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment