Monday, February 26, 2018

Divine Diagonal-stride Dawn

After the weekend's snowfall, Fargo Parks groomed the ski trail along the river from Dike West to Lindenwood Park. We finally got enough snow to cover the sticks that had been poking through the trails all season, so I took out my "good" classic skis for a ski this morning before work. I left home just before 7am. The whole circuit took me about 65 minutes from my doorstep, which is quite a bit faster than I was skiing it in December, so that feels good. What I really liked about the first part of my ski were the beautiful colors in the sky. I don't know if you can see it in this photo, but the part of the tracks that has been smoothed by the first few skiers skiing over them is reflecting that lovely pink in the sky. It felt magical to glide along these two rails of ethereal light.

When I turned around at the I-94 bridge, a different sight greeted me--the sun was up. This was also a delightful view. I had a good sweat worked up by then, and the fire in me greeted the fire in the sun. It was an electrifying moment of connection with the natural world. This is why I ski--to feel connected to the earth, to be a part of it, and to really know I am alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment