Tuesday, January 15, 2013

With and Without Him

It was so brilliantly sunny this afternoon, that I had to temporarily ditch my work to get outside for an hour. I skijored with Noko for a loop, and then he got tired, so I took him home and went out again on my own. I needed to work my body some more. As I headed out, the sun still shone brilliantly, and I drank it in. My technique was rough as I skied over grass, ice, dirt, drifted snow, crust, powder, snowshoe trails, snowmobile tracks, dog tracks, people tracks, ski tracks, and sticks. Yes, lots of variety in surface conditions--thank goodness for rock skis!

I admired the way last summer's grass glowed goldenly in the sunlight. I felt the sun on my cheeks and even admired the glassines of the ice, knowing my skis would be slipping out from me as I crossed.

And then I turned back. What a difference. Clouds came up, the sun went away, the ice looked dirty and dull. An imperceptible tail wind on the way out now slapped me full on and slowed my progress. The mood of the afternoon had changed completely from gay to gray. The grasses were no longer golden and even seemed to bend down in despair as if they knew their shining moment had passed. My arms tired, but I slogged on. Time to finish my ski and go back to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment