Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First ski of 2013

January 1, 2013. Happy New Year! This afternoon I went out on my classic rock skis (my oldest pair of skis, with lost of scratches and chips, for classic technique) for an hour-long tour along the river between Dike East and Lindenwood Park. I skied all the way to the bridge at I-94. It was an overcast day, but warmer than yesterday. The trail has not been groomed due to our paltry snowfall thus far this winter, and there are lots of twigs, grass, and even dirt visible. Nevertheless, I was able to forget all that and get into the zone where my body is busy and my mind is free. I imagined being back in Alaska and the ravens flying overhead laughing at me. However, a glimpse up above at the distinctive fractalish pattern of the bare oak trees dispelled that fantasy. I am in Fargo.

A positive note: I encountered six other skiers today (often I am alone on these outings). I greeted each one with warmth and positive energy, willing them to enjoy their ski and keep at it. Maybe this was a New Year's resolution for one of them?

I also sent out many pleas to the snow gods for more snow. If we don't get adequate snow for skiing, I may have to take up winter cycling again.


No comments:

Post a Comment