Monday, January 30, 2012

Sunday ski at Edgewood

Yesterday I got my kids out skiing for the first time this season. We went with our neighbor, Chuck, and his son, Sam, to Edgewood Golf Course. The day started out cold--minus 4 degrees--but by the time we hit the trails mid-day, there was a lot of radiant heat from the sun, so it was quite pleasant. We toured around the periphery of the course, near the river. At our first break, we were treated to the sounds of a woodpecker, but we didn't get a look at him.

Alessandro found his ski technique after the first ten minutes and soon was out of sight, not to be seen until the end of the ski. Massimo and his friend, Sam, skied in the back, chatting, and playing. Chuck and I waited for them a few times, but after awhile we thought they must have taken one of the shortcuts back, so we just continued all the way around on our own. I enjoyed chatting with Chuck while skiing. It reminded me of my life in Fairbanks, where much of my socializing with others was done on skis. It makes the Ks fly by.

The Edgewood trails were kind of a mess, one track had been set in the middle, but was kind of roughed up. There were the occasional sticks and rocks poking through, but a skiff of new snow helped.

After skiing, the kids went sledding and then we had brunch at the restaurant. A pleasant outing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment