Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First skate ski of winter



Just laid down the first skate tracks on the newly groomed Lindenwood Park-Dike West trail along the Red River. What a difference a day makes. The snow looked so good, newly smoothed, and my temperament was also smoothed today. Mind and body were more in sync as I poled and glided, getting my balance in the various attitudes of skate skiing--V1, V2, etc. etc. I had a joyful smile on my face in the last hour of light. Already, a pink glow was gathering all around the horizon I could glimpse between the tree trunks, signaling the winter sunset.

On my way back from Lindenwood, I glimpsed a runner with a dog, and as they grew closer, I saw it was my son! He is looking more like an adult than a child these days, and he likes to run on his own. When our paths crossed I petted Noko and chatted with Alex. They both looked happy to be outdoors, and I wanted to capture the moment, so I took a photo. In the one of him running away from me, you can see that the Fargo Parks has left a little snow bridge where the ski trail crosses the bike path. I so appreciate little considerations like that. If I saw a groomer right now I would toss him or her kisses.

I played a game of agility on my ski today, swooping down to pick up all the loose branches churned up by the grooming. There is still a bit of debris here and there--we have only 5 inches of snow--but it is very skiable, and it was a thrill to paint the first skate tracks my little Vs, like a lone goose flying across the snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment