Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thursday misty morning ski (with a gift)

Already, one can ski for a week longer than last year, so I'm determined to make the most of it. Enrico took the kids to school while I waxed up my classic skis and headed down to the river. I wanted to use my new iPhone and the Runtastic app to track the entire classic trail for distance. I thought I might as well also time myself and see if I can make my first ski of next season as fast or faster than what could be my last ski of this season. I started out at 7:50am. There was plenty of light, the ski was overcast, and there was a bit of mist hanging in the bare branches of the grand trees by the river. When I got down to the skate trail, I was surprised to find that Fargo Parks had groomed it! That hadn't been done for a couple of weeks, and one reason I chose to skate today was that it had become increasingly more difficult to skate as we got more snow, until, last weekend, I had only been able to do it because I was helped by Noko assisting me.

When I got to the classic trail, it, too, had been set! I smiled broadly. This would make my personal challenge more fun. My SWIX special blue wax afforded just enough kick. I had to use good technique to keep from slipping. Starting out at a fast pace, I soon told myself to take time to warm up a bit before trying so hard. I'm not in my 20s anymore; I really should warm up a bit. Listening to Icky Thump on my iPod helped me to keep to a steady rhythm at the beginning. I thought about how bringing my heart rate up helps me to generate enough warmth to feel comfortable in this frigid environment. When I reached that nice equilibrium in which my body can be at one with the environment, I stopped to stretch a bit. I love being out here when no one is around. I feel connected to something larger than myself and slip into a meditative state, startled only by the caw of a crow. At the I-94 bridge, I turned back and from time to time my flow was interrupted with a sense of hurting a bit. I was pushing myself just to the edge of being uncomfortable. As I neared home, I was a large bird flying toward me. At first I thought it was a turkey buzzard, but as it passed right over my head and I arched my back to watch, I felt a delicious thrill as I recognized the white hood of this impressive bird--a bald eagle!

What a gift with which to end my ski and begin the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment