Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blustery Friday morning skate ski

The kids had the day off school, so I stayed home with them in the morning while Enrico went to work. We cleaned the house vigorously for a couple of hours, then I took a break to go for a skate ski. Already the day was warming up. It was sunny and a blizzard was expected in the late afternoon, so I thought I should take advantage of the newly groomed skate trail before it disintegrated or got blown over. I started out with high hopes of a fun ski, but already the warmer temperatures were causing the snow to melt and this saturated top layer pulled at my skis. It was like trying to push through pancake syrup. After turning around at Dike West, I found my challenge was really just beginning as I was pushed back by strong gusts of wind, once missing a pole plant as the wind pushed my lightweight pole backwards. This would be a grind! But I persevered, traversing the trail to its conclusion in Lindenwood Park and then back home. Exhausted, I showered and then took a quick nap before taking the kids to the Y for the afternoon while I went to work. Will look forward to a hearty meal with the "Table of 8" tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment