Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A morning ski on March 15th--last one?

Went out for a skate ski at 9:15am this morning. It is warm and the forecast calls for above freezing temperatures with a 40% chance of rain, so this could be my last ski. Another sign--I saw several squirrels running about. I wonder if they know the flood is coming and are moving their nuts to higher ground?

The trail was in decent shape, a bit icy in spots, minor drifts in others. I got into the flow and soon forgot about trail conditions. I wanted to ski all day, it was that good. Saw only one old couple walking their dog. Peaceful and quiet, overcast. The bridge connecting Lindenwood Park in Fargo with Gooseberry Park in Moorhead has been raised up high to get ready for the flood. In looking up at it, I remember how, in 2009, the bridge was partially immersed in the water. Strange to look up and think that I would be underwater if I stayed here another week or two. Until Mother Nature's voice wakes us and we drown.

Having skied here nearly every day over the last four months, each tree, each bend in the trail is so familiar to me, and it will all be immersed in the deluge. What else is washed away when this happens?

The end of the ski season always makes me so sad. Most people are happy when spring comes, but for me, the early part of that season includes melancholy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment