Saturday, February 9, 2019

Coming out of the Deep Freeze

I was supposed to be in Atlanta today for a work meeting, but the blizzard caused my flight to be cancelled and my earliest rebooking would have brought me there for just the last 30 minutes of today's meeting, so I reluctantly cancelled the whole trip. So . . . I was just hibernating at home, and by hibernating, I mean catching up on all the little tasks that have accumulated while I tried to get some bigger projects going. It wasn't until 3pm that I stirred from the couch to venture outside for today's ski. Good timing too, because the temperature had just hit the high for the day--4 degrees ABOVE zero.

Nevertheless, I was feeling a bit reluctant to venture out in the cold, so I did some things that are a bit self indulgent. First, I put little foot warmers in my boots. Next, I wore three layers on top. Then, I started listening to Led Zeppelin on my iphone to get a little pumped up. Finally, I boiled some water and put it in an insulated bottle to take with me. I headed out to the trails. We have had so much snow! But the ever-attentive Fargo Parks had groomed the trails. I skied down to the classic track and planted my water bottle in the snowbank for later.
Ah! Groomed trails courtesy of Fargo Parks.
I then skied up to the dog park. Strangely, my kick wax was no good--I was slipping quite a bit, so I came back, waxed up my other classic skis with special blue and headed out again. I got it right this time. Good kick. I skied to the I-94 bridge. Along the way, I passed a man and a woman, two women, one man, another man, and on the way back I saw another man. When I passed the two women again, they had stopped,  so I stopped to chat with them. We remarked on the good grooming we have enjoyed this year, the warmer temperatures today, the pleasure of sunshine, and the ample snow we've had this year.

As I continued, I ran into one of the single men I had passed before, but he had his facemask down this time, and I realized it was John Pfund. John was president of Prairie' Edge Nordic Ski Club when I first moved to Fargo, and I remember meeting him at Edgewood Golf Course. He was so welcoming, so I really wanted to get involved with the club. He introduced me to some of the wonderful local skiers here. It was good to see him out on the trail again.

I also passed my husband, Enrico. I got a trailside kiss from him before continuing on. I stopped at the place where I had my waterbottle and enjoyed rehydrating with some warm water--ah! Sometimes simple pleasures are just the best. This was a little trick I employed when I was training for the Iditasport. On a four-hour training ride, having something warm to drink was a great pleasure.

Today, I was out for about an hour and a half. One of the things I find interesting about skiing on consecutive days is noticing what is different each day. For example, I saw these tracks that were intriguing. What do you think happened here?




No comments:

Post a Comment