Sunday, November 11, 2018

First ski of the 2018-19 season

We had horizontal snow yesterday, so I didn't think any skiing would come of it, but the wind settled during the night and the day dawned sunny and still, so I thought I might as well take the rock skis out and gear up the dog for a little skijor instead of the usual walk. There wasn't much accumulation, but I figured if we skied mainly on the grass, it should be OK. Noko was game, so we headed out to the dog park. We saw a bald eagle within the first five minutes of our ski. What a wingspan!

Noko was a bit pokey on the way out, but when we turned to come back, he put in three spirited 100-meter pulls. With my new Apple watch, I now know that my heart rate spikes up into the 160s when he sprints because I double-pole hard to get the most out of it. The rest of the time my heart rate is in the 120s-130s, so I guess I could say that skijoring with Noko provides me with some moderate interval training!

After our little outing, I went out again and skied on my own to Gooseberry Park, skiing a little loop and then coming back along the river. I went back up to the dog park again, back down to the water treatment plant, where I took this photo, and then called it a day. I skied for 100 minutes total--not bad for the first ski of the season. I guess my workouts at the Y and biking to work have been good for getting my ski season started on the right boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment