Monday, March 1, 2021

New snow on March 1st makes for fun ski at Edgewood this morning

I awoke to the sound of my neighbor's snowblower, which means we got new snow overnight! I readied myself to go for a ski at Edgewood Golf Course after dropping Enrico off at work. It was only 3 degrees when I arrived, and there were no other skiers out yet. My hands were a bit chilly when I started, but with no clouds in the sky, I soon felt some warmth from the sun. I enjoyed seeing all the animal tracks in the fresh snow. What do you think this bird was doing here (and what kind of bird do you think it was)?
After rounding the tip of the oxbow, I saw a deer looking at me where the trail ascends back up to the golf course. As I approached, it moved off the trail to join its family of 7. I stopped and watched them for a long time. They watched me right back. Here are some more animal tracks--a rabbit, I believe.
On the other side of the river, some movement caught my eye. It was low to the ground. What was it? I kept looking over that way, and two crows flying from branch to branch caught my eye. Then I saw the creature on the ground again--a river otter! It was running up the steep bank. Just then, the two crows began to squawk, and then several more crows higher up started making a racket. They seemed to be cheering on the river otter. I watched until he ran out of sight and the crows settled back down. Then, I glanced to my right and saw an enormous group (maybe 40?) of wild turkeys just quietly sitting among the trees. I had not noticed them while watching the river otter--they were so quiet and still. I wished I had my camera with the long lens. After watching them for a few minutes, I continued on my ski to the end of the golf course and then looped back to the entrance. What a great way to start the day. I dedicate today's ski to Bruce Ray. I remember when he helped with ski lessons for the children here at Edgewood over a decade ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment