Saturday, March 28, 2020

One more ski on March 28th!

When I woke up this morning, it was below freezing, so I decided to venture out one more time for a little crust skiing, knowing full well the ski trail would be further underwater due to the rising river. I couldn't resist, though! I got out my worst pair of skate skis and walked to the first patch of snow I could find. I got to ski maybe 100 meters before the trail went underwater. I walked around that, skied for another 100 meters, walked again, and after the water treatment plant, I found plenty of crust skiing all the way through Ponte Park. Then I had to jog aways to be able to ski on a short section of skate trail above water. At the end of the skate trail, I walked up the hill and over to the baseball diamonds in Lindenwood Park. The fence had served as a wind and snowbreak all winter, and there was snow piled up next to it. This made for the best skiing of the day. I skied around the outfield and back a few times, enjoying the feeling of gliding. As I made my way back, it was getting close to 10am and the temperature was going above freezing. The magical crust skiing was almost over--I could feel the snow giving way beneath my skis, but at least I got some exercise outside in the sunshine. When I got home, I had to wash the mud from my skis and boots before putting them away for the season.


No comments:

Post a Comment