Sunday, January 8, 2017

Sunday Skijor with a bit of hound energy

Being a swim captain parent put a kink in my ski routine, as we had back-to-back home meets to host on Friday-Saturday, with the Saturday one being the day-long Manley Invite. I longingly looked at the clear blue sky and enticing white snow while schlepping concessions items to and from South and Davies, but was too tired to go for a night ski. Enrico went out and said it was good. The moon is waxing, and between the extra light and the set trails, he said it was good going.

On Sunday, I was eager to get out, but there was a strong wind, so I decided to wait until late afternoon when it was forecast to abate. It did, so around 4pm, I put Noko in the harness, and we headed out. He tried to be a wimp because of the cold, refusing to go after just a few hundred yards, so we turned around and went in the other direction, toward the dog park. He heard some dogs there and picked up his pace. When we got there, we found a hound dog in the park who was ready to run. I skied on the trail next to the dog park with Noko, while this dog acted like a rabbit for Noko, leading him to run hard back and forth along the dog park. It was a fun time for all.

After Noko was warmed up, we continue back south, and we got a bit further this time. We only went for about 45-50 minutes total, but it was great to get outside, and we both got pretty heated up from the effort.

NDSU's winter break is over tomorrow, so it will be harder to do the long ski outings I've done over break, but since we live so close to the trails, I should still be able to go for quick skis on a regular basis, especially as we get more light in the mornings.

I'm glad we have some real winter weather. I just love winter--getting outside in the snow is good for my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment