Monday, April 15, 2013

Tax day, post-blizzard ski

Yesterday I was supposed to drive to Bismarck for work, but as the day progressed, the lines on the ND DOT Travel Information map went from green to blue to purple to red as a winter storm swept across North Dakota. While we were waiting for the storm to hit Fargo, I went for a 10-mile run as part of my preparation for the Fargo half-marathon. After all, the ski trails were OK yesterday, but there was a lot of melting in the afternoon, so I doubted they would be that great on Sunday. From what I could see of the trails on my run, it was a good decision.

About an hour into my run, the snow started up. At first, it was just gently falling small flakes that melted as soon as they hit the bike path, but then the temperature dropped, the wind picked up, and soon my black dog, Noko, had a blanket of white on his back. When we got back home, we cleaned up, ate a lot, and then hunkered down to watch the storm. It did not disappoint. Flakes got fatter, and the array of flakes became more dense. Soon there was quite a bit of accumulation. We were falling asleep when the call came that school would have a late start in the morning to allow for a ski, I mean to allow for snow removal.

Today, Monday, April 15th, we woke up to the sound of our neighbor, Darren, snowblowing. He did the whole block--what a guy! Enrico sent the boys out to do hand-shoveling in other areas. I gulped down some protein mix, put Noko's harness on, and headed out the door with my skis. What big piles of snow! Both Noko and I were bubbling with excitement. The tiredness from the 10-mile run was forgotten as we climbed the dike and glided down to the trails.

First surprise--the bike path was already plowed--those Fargo Parks employees, they sure are on top of things!  I stepped gingerly over the pavement on my rock skis, and we headed downhill toward the river. That's when I got the big surprise . . .

Fargo Parks had already groomed both the classic trail AND the skate trail--unbelievable! Not only that, the skate trail was already set up, so we could ski it without gouging it. Heavenly day!

Noko on top of the dike

Why I LOVE Fargo Parks

End of the ski--heading back up the dike onto our street

Happy with my tax day "refund"

No comments:

Post a Comment